Saturday, September 26, 2009

Tyler's Trek

Yes, it's 5:30. A.M. Yes, I'm a morning person, but not this morning...I can count on one hand the number of hours of sleep last night. No thumbs, fingers left over.

Yes, there's a bigger story.

Today is the Miracle Miles Run (I'm walking. Wait 'til next year, though.) to benefit the NICU at Winnie Palmer Hospital in Orlando. Arrive by 6:45 to start walking @7:10 for the 5k. Raise money for tiny miracles so they can grow up to be big miracles. I'm doing this because a year and a half ago, my friend Tracy went into labor in January--instead of April, as originally scheduled.

Her son, Tyler, spent the first eight weeks of his life in NICU, with Tracy and her husband making daily visits, until Tyler was big enough and developed enough to come home. Today, he's an active(!) toddler, completely caught up developmentally, and absolutely adorable to boot. When Tracy found out about the Miracle Miles run several months ago, she set herself a fundraising goal and a running goal, and took off, bringing several of us along with her (not that we needed convincing).

I can't think clearly enough at the moment to find the link to her webpage (it has video), but if you Google Tyler's Trek and then look for "guest blogger Tracy Jones" on the Lara Dien blog (my writing blog), you can find both the post she wrote for me, and a link to her site. Watching Tyler grow from just two pounds and change (and he's considered big by NICU standards!) to where he is today is just amazing. I asked Tracy yesterday if she had to use just one word--and the word could not be "Tyler"--to describe why she's running today, her reply was immediate.

Miracles.

2 comments:

  1. I'm doing "Morning Pages,"ala Julia Cameron, most mornings and that is helping tremendously, even if some mornings I'm too tired to stay 100% awake while the pen is moving across the page! Also doing the Virtual Zen Retreat. I'm in an amazingly more joyful state than I've been in awhile. Would love to rearrange my life until there is room for all things I want, including $$ to afford to do them. Loved your earlier post referencing the deLint book for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird. This post was supposed to be in response to the meditation post! Ah, well. here it is instead. Such is the mystery of technology or my button pushing at 10:00.

    ReplyDelete