Monday, September 21, 2009

Letting go

Lately the line "you must do the thing you think you cannot do" has been running through my mind. Eleanor R., wasn't it? At any rate, it's there, teasing me, as I contemplate letting go to make room for new experiences.

You must do the thing you think you cannot do. It becomes an admonition to let go of those things that mean the most to me, but that I know are not in my new best interests. To put it very mundanely...who'd have thought I'd have to give up pizza as a lifestyle change? (Seriously, pizza is on my list of top five lifetime favorite foods....) To put it less mundanely...sitting (zazen). Yoga poses. Stretching myself, and not just physically.

You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Not only letting go of things I never thought I could let go of, but also the DOING...what we want is often outside our comfort zone. We must reach for it. Reach for the thing we think we cannot touch. Even if it hurts, even if we pull a muscle, even if we have to stretch farther than we ever thought possible.

Do the thing you think you cannot do.

No comments:

Post a Comment