Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Discipline is remembering what you want

I almost didn't post today. I've been crazy-busy at work, the universe dropped a few bricks on my head this morning (at which point my sis pointed out that you still gotta go through it, and the best way to do that is with faith that there is joy in whatever you're going through), and overall....

But I'd made this commitment to myself that I would post something every day--something insightful (for me, at least), inspirational, or at least something to think about.

So here I am.

I spent the evening with a bunch of writers--all of us in different genres, some writing for publication, others for private pleasure. Things have been so busy, I've been coming home lately, looking at the writing projects, and groaning. I'm tired. But...this is what I want.

I'm craving a sandwich--a big, filled to bursting sub from my favorite sub place. It's entirely possible that it's because I'm at the 'between' point in my cycle and my body thinks it needs more fuel. It doesn't. So dinner was (once again) lean protein and vegetables. I'm not depriving myself (people keep reminding me not to do that), I'm moving toward my goal of ideal health. This is what I want.

Tomorrow night is the shamans' group meetup. Odds are pretty good that I'll still be tired, having a lot of stuff going on at work tomorrow, plus all the writing/editing/etc I'm supposed to be doing. But I'll go. Because that's what I want. I want it more than I want to veg out and watch tv or read a book. Just like I want the healthy body and mind more than I want the sub sandwich or the Ben & Jerry's ice cream. Just like I want the writing gig more than I want a break. I want to remind myself of the path I'm on--keep the record, even if no one else reads it--more than I want the extra five minutes of sleep (not sure I can say that about the gym in the morning, but at least I'm on the blog!).

Discipline is remembering what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment