Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tuning out

It is my humble opinion that a contributing factor to the explosion of ADD and autism in this country may very well be the amount of stimuli we (and especially children) are subjected to. We are constantly receiving loud, colorful signals for our brains to process. (I have zero qualifications for making that suggestion--it's just an observation.) We spend most of our waking hours tuning in, and very little time tuning out. From 24/7 television to smart devices, from jumbotrons to DVD players in the car, from hi-def everything to Twitter, we are encouraged and enticed to be continuously on alert and ready to react. Add in 32 ounce colas and supersized coffees, and it's a wonder we don't collapse from the weight of it all.

Meditation, walks in nature (without the MP3 player), yoga, even sitting down with a book are ways of hitting the pause button and letting our minds and spirits shuffle through the clutter and find some order, some peace--maybe that's really tuning in.

2 comments:

  1. I have always been a super-duper multi-tasker. Since I am now meditating regularly and am changing my lifestyle, I'm finding that it is becoming increasingly difficult to multi-task. In my world, that's a good thing! I think we all need to un-learn multi-tasking and start appreciating each and every thing we do in that moment. Rather than doing many things halfway, how about if we experience them fully, one at a time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! "uni-tasking" (I made that up :)) allows us to be present, centered...and also to completely honor ourselves as well as what we are engaging in.

    A friend blogged some months ago about something she'd read on Twittering (Tweeting?) during sex...

    ReplyDelete