Sunday, August 16, 2009

Manifesting what we want

Be careful what you ask for--you just might get it. (old saying)

Be careful what you ask for--because you are going to get what you ask for. (my version--and the corollary is: the tricky part-because there's always a tricky part-is recognizing it when it shows up).

We ask for things to manifest in our lives, and then complain it doesn't happen. This, I think, is the source of the famous "God answers prayers, and sometimes the answer is no." Because if I remember correctly from Sunday school, the bible verse didn't say "ask and it will be given to you if I think you've asked for the right thing." I'm pretty sure the instruction was "ask and it will be given to you, knock and the door will open."

So why don't we always get what we ask for? Timing, perhaps. Competing desires. Obstacles that we put in the way. Obstacles other people put up for us (that we allow to remain).

A favorite quote (again, can't remember the author, and somewhat butchered here) that I choose to remind myself of today is "the deepest desires of our heart have meaning, or they would not have arisen in the first place."

I will create the life I want, by also creating a way around the obstacles I find.

No comments:

Post a Comment