Monday, August 24, 2009

Look for the beauty

See only beauty; feel only love. - James Redfield, The Celestine Prophecy

There's a prayer that goes something like this: beauty before me, beauty behind me, beauty to either side of me, beauty above and beauty below; I walk in beauty.

I think that is less a prayer for the blessing of beauty surrounding us, than it is a recognition of truth. The tricky part is recognizing it.

It's easy to lose sight of the beauty in our daily rush, but even easier to find it when we pause for a moment and look for it. Not just the beauty of natural spaces, although I think that is the first thing that comes to mind for most of us (the color of flowers, a flower growing in an unexpected place, the flight of a hawk, the pair of sandhill cranes feeding next to the road), but we can also find it in the human-created world around us: the art of a pencil, pen or paintbrush; the lines of a well-designed building. We, especially, can find it in the faces around us. In the lines that speak to experience, in the open joy of a child.

Beauty all around.

1 comment:

  1. Here's one version of the prayer for you... and may you walk with beauty always.
    -------------------------------------------

    ~ As I Walk with Beauty ~

    As I walk, as I walk
    The universe is walking with me
    In beauty it walks before me
    In beauty it walks behind me
    In beauty it walks below me
    In beauty it walks above me
    Beauty is on every side
    As I walk, I walk with Beauty.

    Traditional Navajo Prayer

    ReplyDelete