Saturday, August 22, 2009

Shake up the calendar

It's not that a routine is necessarily bad. I can think of several that are downright comforting--say, the daily routine of monks in a monastery.

It's the stagnant energy that needs shaking (or stirring, if you like your energy mixed that way) up--rather like finding a new way to get the waters of a pool moving. Going back to the metaphor I used in my first post--if the spring is clogged, and no energy is getting through, things in the pond begin to die off. Not pretty.

Sometimes shaking up the energy is as simple as changing your daily/weekly routine. The point is that everything you do creates energy, and so if you do it differently--different energy. If you always shop on your way home, go to the gym first, and then shop. You'll interact with different people, have a different set of traffic to deal with.

Not exciting enough? How about this: I usually meditate with a particular group on Saturday evenings at 6. There's a second meditation at 8. The two meditations are different in structure, and they often attract different people (lots of people actually go to both). If I want to shake up the energy in my life in a particularly beautiful way, I'd switch meditation times.

Or instead of reading the paper at home on Sunday, take it with me to the park (it won't be raining yet). Take a walk, then take a break. Go to the gym at a different time (again, different people); shop for groceries in a different store. All mundane activities, all serve to change the flow of energy in your life.

2 comments:

  1. Good points! Will see how I can apply this to my life, especially since I have such a passion for routine = control. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some routines are good--meditating every day, for example. But meditation doesn't leave you in the same place when you've finished, as you were when you started. So it's its own form of motion.

    ReplyDelete