Sunday, November 22, 2009

The things we do

I was talking last week to a friend about my plans for a mini-garden, and he shared with me what his wife had done around their house--and how the garden drew in birds and butterflies (an unintended consequence). He closed with "can you imagine if everyone in the world planted a real garden?"

The last couple of novels I've been indulging in have been of the "this is the only person who can save the world" type. Combined with the question above, this week's influences led me to this question of my own: can you imagine if everyone in the world acted as though the balance of good and evil rested on their shoulders?

I don't mean in a guilt-inducing way, of course. But on the general premise that we ought to be as awake and aware in our lives as possible, what if we treated our lives as the deciding factor in how it all turns out? If I, and I alone, were the tipping point in spiritual evolution, in mundane and spiritual sanity. If everything I did had an impact I could measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment