Saturday, November 14, 2009

New plans and no plans

It occurred to me this morning that the new house has a closed in porch that faces east (as well as one that faces south, and one that faces north--it's a very porch-y house), which may mean that I can grow more than herbs and sprouts. I'm thinking things like heirloom strains of tomatoes, beans, and other fruits/veggies--just a pot or two of each, nothing past my ability to keep up with. And if I stagger the planting, I may be able to create a mini garden that lasts for months.

I was just reading about the "doomsday" seed vault in Norway--a structure that houses seeds in an ultra-secure, very cold (zero degrees) environment. The same book mentioned the loss of diversity in food crops over the past 100 years. A friend recently mentioned an article she'd read on recovery (after athletic events) that suggested our bodies are stronger, healthier, and more adaptable/resilient when we eat a wider variety of foods. I'm also thinking that even in pots, a small garden can not only broaden the array of foods I eat, but also give me more "local" foods (I assume it counts as local if you grow them yourself!), and possibly even give me more interesting and tasty foods without raising my grocery bill (heirloom seeds, pots, soil...not necessary cheap). I'm not much of a gardener, but it's worth a try, right?

So those are my new plans. My no plans? It's a busy day--helping a friend with some editing, doing a card reading, meditation circle (after WEEKS of being absent) ... but it is absolutely gorgeous outside--the kind of weather that makes you grateful for things you don't even know about, so C and I may bag some of the editing and hang out at the park. Absorb some sun and air and green ... worship at the altar of life.

1 comment:

  1. We missed you last Saturday, but hope you are feeling much more rested! I spent Saturday morning outside meditating and communing with Creator and completely connect with what you said about being "grateful for things you don't even know about"! Made it really difficult to get up and get moving for meditation Saturday night! See you this Saturday! *hugs8

    ReplyDelete