Thursday, December 31, 2009

And on that note...

Nothing quite like jumping from a post on visualizing your life, to life taking over! My apologies if you've popped over here looking for me, only to find stuff you've read a hundred times and really didn't need to see again.

I was going to start back up with a post on inspiration and goals--you know, just why DO we do this NYR thing--but a shock yesterday compels me to do something different.

A friend died.

That sort of thing, especially when it's unexpected, tends to throw what I believe about the eternal cycle into sharp relief against the physical reality of life in this plane. Do I believe his spirit is out there (somewhere...forgive me for not being particularly eloquent, I'm still a little in shock) and that he will re-incarnate at a time and place of his soul's choosing? Or absorb into the great Everything, and go on that way? Yeah, I do. And the fact that this person whom I'm used to seeing five days a week (I worked with him) suddenly isn't there any more doesn't change that.

But there's the physical reality. He's unlikely to haunt me, so I don't expect to see him in this human reality again. Did we have any unfinished business? Was I kind enough? Did I smile and laugh at his jokes when he needed me to? Was I consistently myself, did I do irreparable harm? I'm not saying I had any real reason to be concerned about these things, but this did cross my mind: that if these are the questions we ask when a friend passes, then these are the questions that should be foremost in our lives.

2 comments:

  1. wow...I'm so sorry for your and his family's loss. Another excellent reminder of the things we should be taking into account when we think of who we want to become in 2010. Thank you. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lost a co-worker and dear friend to the C Monster just before Christmas. She was an amaizing woman who touched the lives of many. I attended both the wake and funeral and was truly moved by the number of people who came out, late December, and stood in line, outside, for an hour to pay their respects. Even now, when I consider some of my "concerns" they seem petty in contrast to the impact this one person had on so many. I have so many wonderful people in my life... this year and decade, I chose to worry less and love more!

    ReplyDelete